Wednesday, December 5, 2007

A Dog? A Cat? No, it's a Puppycat!

I have never been much of a cat person. I have always liked dogs. I would study them and read about dogs and wolves and any other canine type. I am good with dogs, I know them very well. But I never really paid attention to cats. Oh sure, I thought some were pretty, and I would pet them if I could. But I never spent any time learning about them. I didn't hate cats, I just never really thought about them. My sister liked cats and so did a few of my friends, and I used to joke around with them when cats came up in discussion. My favorite line was: Cats are great, they are self-propelled dog toys.

Three years ago I was living with my sister. I had a dog, she had a dog and 3 cats. I barely ever noticed the cats, they were just kind of there, no more noticeable to me than before. One day, she brought home this tiny kitten. It was in poor shape and it was not certain it would survive. It had been neglected and was very sick and almost starved to death. Sure, I felt sorry for it, but it didn't really catch my attention. My sis was taking care of it, it was her cat to keep or find a home for if it survived. It was just another rather unnoticeable cat to me.

Until the day I had to go into the room she was keeping it in. This tiny, pathetic kitten struggled to climb up to a high spot. Once it did it looked at me and gave this pitiful little mew. I looked down at this miniature bundle of bones and spoke without realizing it:"Oh Rogue, you are gonna be just fine."

This caught me dead in my tracks. I had just spoken a name for this cat. The only other times that has happened, that I have named an animal, was when it was mine or meant to be mine when it was old enough. "Oh no," I thought, "I think I just got a cat." I went and found my sister and asked her if I could keep it. She thought it over and Rogue became mine 2 days later.

This was the first cat I had ever owned (or been owned by, lol) and I had no clue how to treat a cat. So I treated as I did my dog. My sister's cats spent most of their time outdoors, so this tiny kitten spent most of his time around dogs. Plus, he had me for an owner. Is it any wonder he turned out to be a rather unusual cat?

That is, if he is a cat at all. :) He looks like a cat, he purrs, he uses the litter box. But other than that he is a great dog. He comes when I call him. He sits up pretty for treats. He gives kisses when allowed, he sleeps on the bed, sometimes under the covers. A few times he has barked at loud noises. Well, kind of, he makes a short, abrupt "mrowf! mrowf! Sure comes close to being a bark, lol.

In short, Rogue is a pretty cat, and he is the best dog I have ever owned. He is my Puppycat and I love him with all my heart.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

omg ru that was so awesome, i never thought a cat would steal your heart but i guess a barking puppycat can. Lol bring on some more like this one hun

Anonymous said...

:o very cute Ru. -steals the puppycat- Hehe :P

Anonymous said...

lol funny cat

Anonymous said...

Aww! Rogue looks like a puppycat too! Such a cute puppykitty!

Anonymous said...

aww hes a cute puppycat :) hehe

Pam's Place said...

I just followed you over here from Pioneer Woman. I enjoyed your post about her site, but I really love this one. I am a cat person -- have been from birth. I think you may be hooked. Dogs are great, too, but cats, well, cats really are different. Rogue is a great name, and she's beautiful.

I had a cat named Jack several years ago who caused people to say, "I hate cats, but I really like Jack." Maybe he was a puppycat, too.

Pam's Place said...

Oops, sorry, Rogue. I see you're a "he" and not a "she".

Anonymous said...

rouge is quite adorable, ru!

-ashton